Porsche GT3 Cup Eastern Europe - Serres Circuit, Greece
Over the weekend of 9th and 10th of October 2010, Serres Circuit in Greece played host to the GT3 Cup Challenge Eastern Europe. The field was a decent size with around 8 cars on the grid. The first race also had a couple of WTCC BMWs which added a bit a variety. Also of note in the race was a Honda Civic EP3 Type-R and Fiat Marea.
Tuners - Garages - Dealers/Shops
Tuning Guides & Information
Engine Parts - Electronic
Footwork - Transmission
-Need a web presence?
-StrikeEngine Book Store (USA)
Advertise on StrikeEngine, it's easy & it's free - Click Here!
Porsche GT3 Cup Eastern Europe - Serres
There was definite evidence of a class divide in the pits with the Porsche drivers seemingly avoiding socialising with the Fiat driver! It was bandied round that the Marea was too slow to be on the same track at the Porsches, obviously the drivers had not raced in Le Mans, ALMS or the Nurburgring 24hours!
With regards to the pits, access for spectators was absolutely first class. At the end of the races spectators could get right up to the cars and really get a good feel of what a GT3 race car looks up and close and personal.
- A good example of the phenomenal access that was available to the pits over the weekend.
The racing was quite close with 3 cars in the hunt for the win in the first race, unfortunately there looked to be a mechanical problem with the leader's car on the last lap which put him out of the race.
During the race the WTCC BMW had a collision with one of the Porsches which put both cars out of the race.
The non finishes meant the Fiat and the Honda beat 2 Porsche 997 GT3s and a WTCC spec BMW. Not bad going!
Porsche GT3 Cup Eastern Europe - Serres
The sound of the BMWs were one of the things that surprised us the most, the ground literally shook when they pulled out of the pits, they sounded even more powerful than the Porsches at idle
- 997 GT3 Cup cars in paddock after race 1. Damage can be seen on the first car
There was one 996 GT3 in attendance and this car was much louder than the newer 997 cars.
- By far the loudest Porsche GT3 racing, the 996 was louder and better sounding than the newer cars!
Pirelli were in attendance for tyre fitting and tyre supply
There was also a Civic Type-R race which had about 18cars participating, lots of contact and spins but all cars made it to the end but with at least one of the cars losing fourth gear during the race.
- Another shot of the cars in the pit after the first race
As for lap times the cars were doing at Serres. The air temperature was around 18C, we didn't measure track temperature or humidity
Serres Lap Time GT3 Cup: 1.27
Although the even was quite badly organised from a spectators point of view, for example there was no information as to the schedule for the day, the fact that you could get up close and personal cars more than made up for it.
- Honda Civic Type-R which was racing in the same race as the GT3s
We doubt that you can get such open access, for example, being able to watch the mechanics repair the cars in between races anywhere else and the sound and smells of the cars didn't let anyone down. We don't know of a nicer sounding race car than a Porsche, absolutely awesome.
If you get the chance to check the championship out, it's well worth it, we for sure will be there next year.
- Spare 997 GT3 in pits, used for spares when one of the other cars were damaged in the first race. Car is raised on integral air jacks in photo
- Rear brake setup on a 997 GT3 race car
- Race 2 winning GT3 in pits after first race
- Another shot of the cars in the pits after Race 1
- The spare car in the pits up on its air jacks
- Routine repairs between race 1 and race 1, hood is up
- A 997 GT3 parked up on its own at the end of the pit lane
- Another photo of the same 997
- The engine bay of a 997 GT3 Cup race car
Thank you to Street & Circuit in Greece for supplying this article. Check them out for your track day parts
If your interested in competing or watching the GT3 Cup Challenge Eastern Europe visit the official website here
Here is the official review of the 2010 Serres round of the GT3 Cup Challenge
Customers > Clubs > Dealers > Distributors > Manufacturers
"Bringing together the most respected companies in the performance automotive industry" - StrikeEngine.com
Click Here to Advertise Your Business on StrikeEngine.com - It's EASY and it's FREE
Take the StrikeEngine survey, it will only take 1 minute and you don't need to register, click here